Penne with Turkey Italian Sausage, Broccoli, Tomatoes, and Parmesan
Yield: 5-6 servings | Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 10-15 min | Total Time: 20-25 min
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 turkey Italian Sausages, removed from casings
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thickly
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes
- 1 dash (or more) of crushed red pepper
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz whole wheat penne pasta, cooked per instructions
- 3-4 tbsp reserved pasta liquid
- 1 tbsp olive oil, drizzled
- 2-3 tsp butter
- 3-4 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Cook the penne pasta per instructions in salted boiling water.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, removed from casings, along with the red onion. Cook the sausage and onion for 4-5 minutes, stirring often, making sure to break up the sausage into crumbles as it cooks. Add the broccoli florets, the grape tomatoes, and crushed red pepper and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic then cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta and the reserved pasta liquid to the pan then drizzle some olive oil on to the pasta as well as the butter, Parmesan cheese, sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper to taste. Gently mix until evenly coated. Taste and re-season if necessary. Serve immediately. Enjoy.
Recipe adapted from: For the Love of Cooking.net